Makaroona Bashamale (Macaroni with Cream Sauce)
- ½ kilo cooked macaroni
- ¼ kilo Assaj
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder Optional
- 1 clove Optional
- Shredded Mozzarella Optional
- 1 beaten egg for egg wash
- Prepare the macaroni and assaj.
- Prepare the cream sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and stir for a minute then gradually add the milk, whisking quickly to dissolve the flour.
- Add the eggs to the mixture and whisk until it thickens. Season with salt and pepper and turn the heat off.
- Add the onion powder, clove and a generous sprinkle of shredded mozzarella, and whisk until cheese is melted. Cover and remove the clove before using the bashamale. (Optional)
- Add a scoop of the sauce to the macaroni and mix it well.
- Get your baking dish and add a thin layer of the sauce, then a layer of the macaroni, followed by a layer of sauce. Add a layer of assaj, then a layer of macaroni and repeat.
- Finish off by adding the remaining sauce.
- Spread the beaten egg over the top. (Skip this if you're going to top it with mozzarella).
- Add a generous sprinkle of shredded mozzarella on the top. (Optional)
- Place the baking dish in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Served with green salad.