3 hrs 15 mins
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 2 Tbsps freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbsps minced ginger
- 2 large sweet onions roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsps minced garlic
- 1 cup dark beer alternatively, use 1 cup of strong chicken, beef, or vegetable broth
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup tamarind paste
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped canned anchovies
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 jalapenos seeds removed and minced
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 1 lime thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil.
- Sauté the chopped sweet onion until soft, for about 7 minutes.
- Add tamarind paste, ginger, garlic, and jalapenos and cook over medium-low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Add the anchovies, the tomato paste, the cloves, the pepper, the corn syrup, the molasses, the white vinegar, dark beer (or
- broth), the orange juice, water, lemon, and lime.
- Stir to combine and bring
- to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer while stirring occasionally, for about 3 hours.
- Turn off the heat when the
- sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain the sauce into glass bottles/jars and refrigerate.