- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 2 Tbsps freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbsps minced ginger
- 2 large sweet onions, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsps minced garlic
- 1 cup dark beer (alternatively, use 1 cup of strong chicken, beef, or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup tamarind paste
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped canned anchovies
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 jalapenos, seeds removed and minced
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, thinly sliced
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil.
Sauté the chopped sweet onion until soft, for about 7 minutes.
Add tamarind paste, ginger, garlic, and jalapenos and cook over medium-low heat for another 5 minutes.
Add the anchovies, the tomato paste, the cloves, the pepper, the corn syrup, the molasses, the white vinegar, dark beer (or broth), the orange juice, water, lemon, and lime.
Stir to combine and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer while stirring occasionally, for about 3 hours.
Turn off the heat when the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Strain the sauce into glass bottles/jars and refrigerate.