Real Tomato Soup
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- Handful basil leaf
- 600 ml milk
- Pinch baking soda
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion and garlic.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Stir in the tomato purée.
- Pour in chopped tomatoes and basil leaves. Bring up to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until thick and full of flavor.
Cool the mixture a little and mix in the blender. (You can, at this point, cool and freeze the mixture for up to 4 weeks).
- After blending, place the mixture back into the saucepan.
- In a small bowl, spoon the baking soda over 1 tbsp milk and mix until there are no lumps.
- Stir in the baking soda and milk mix into the tomato mixture, and pour the milk over.
Bring to a boil then gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Ladle in soup bowls and serve hot.