- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup of grated Swiss Gruyere or Emmanthal cheese
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- A dash of salt
- A dash of white pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in the flour with a wire whisk and cook over low heat for about three minutes while stirring constantly. (Do not allow the mixture to brown).
- Gradually stir in the milk while whisking constantly and cook over low heat for about 3-5 more minutes (the sauce should begin to thicken).
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
- Whisk until the cheese has melted and smooth.
- Season to taste.