- 2 cups confectioners' sugar sifted
- 3 1/2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- 3/4 cup lemon juice divided, freshly squeezed
- 2 sticks 1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 1/3 cup lemon zest 6 to 8 large lemons, grated
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.
- Cream the butter with 2 cups granulated sugar in an electric mixer’s bowl, fitted with the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Put the mixer on medium speed then add the eggs one at a time then add the lemon zest.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
Combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, with the buttermilk, and vanilla in another bowl.
- Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans, then smooth the tops and bake for 45 mins - 1 hour, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice and cook over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes when done.
Remove the cakes from the pans, set them on a rack set over a tray or sheet pan, and spoon the lemon syrup over them.
- Allow the cakes to completely cool.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl for the glaze.
- Mix with a wire whisk until smooth.
Pour the glaze over the tops of the cakes and allow it to drizzle down the sides.