– The glaze:
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
– The cake:
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup lemon juice, divided, freshly squeezed
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons), grated
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.
Cream the butter with 2 cups granulated sugar in an electric mixer’s bowl, fitted with the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
Put the mixer on medium speed then add the eggs one at a time then add the lemon zest.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
Combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, with the buttermilk, and vanilla in another bowl.
Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
Divide the batter evenly between the two pans, then smooth the tops and bake for 45 mins – 1 hour, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice and cook over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes when done.
Remove the cakes from the pans, set them on a rack set over a tray or sheet pan, and spoon the lemon syrup over them.
Allow the cakes to completely cool.
Combine the confectioners’ sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl for the glaze.
Mix with a wire whisk until smooth.
Pour the glaze over the tops of the cakes and allow it to drizzle down the sides.