- 2½ cups basmati rice washed until water ran clear then drained
- 3½ cups water
- 3 Tbsps. ghee
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 500 g boneless chicken breast cubed
- 2 cubes Chicken Stock Bouillon Cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes peeled and pureed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsps. tomato paste
- ½ cup yoghurt
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1½ Tbsps. garam massala
- 2 Tbsps. coriander leaves chopped
- 2 Tbsps. fresh mint chopped
- Pinch of saffron filaments
Soak the saffron in ¼ cup water.
- Place the water for the rice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice and stir, bringing it to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
Remove rice from saucepan and spread evenly over a large platter and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the ghee in a large sauce pan.
Stir in the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring, until onion is golden brown.
- Stir in the garlic and the grated ginger and stir for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chicken and stir until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the tomato puree, yogurt, tomato paste, lemon juice, bouillon cubes and spices.
- Mix all the ingredients together and bring to a boil.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes then set aside.
In a medium pot, add a layer of ½ the prepared rice, then layer the chicken mixture, with the chopped coriander and mint sprinkled over it, and topped with a layer of the remaining rice.
- Pour the saffron water evenly on top of the rice, then cover the pot and cook over low heat for 25-30 minutes.