- 6 oz. self-raising flour
- 9 oz. brown sugar
- 1 oz. butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 pint water
- Frying oil
- In a large saucepan, dissolve the sugar in water and a sprinkle of cinnamon and a piece of lemon and bring to a boil.
- Discard the lemon and allow the sugary water to cool.
- Add the butter and the egg to the sugar, beat until smooth and creamy.
- Sift the flour into the mix and blend
- until smooth.
- Shape it into a 9 inch square and cut it into 18 pieces (3' x 11/2').
- Cut two slits in each of the pieces while leaving them joined at the top, it should look like it getting ready to be braid. Braid and pinch at the ends to seal.
- Heat the frying oil at 350 F and deep-fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Dip in syrup and serve it hot.