Classic Lemon Meringue Pie
- 125 ml lemon juice
- 2 tsps lemon zest
- 8 tbsps corn flour
- 1 23cm pastry case, baked
- 300 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs separated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 350 ml water
- 3 tbsps butter
- 80 ml water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100 g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170 C /
- Gas 3.
- Combine the 300g sugar, salt, and 350ml water in a heavy saucepan, over high heat and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, mix the corn flour with the 80ml water to make a smooth paste.
- Gradually whisk it into the boiling sugar mixture.
- Boil the mixture until thick and clear,
- while stirring constantly, then remove from heat.
- Whisk together egg yolks and lemon
- juice in a small bowl.
- Whisk in the egg yolk mixture gradually into the hot sugar mix.
- Return pan to the heat and bring to a boil, while stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the zest and the butter.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator and cool until the mix is just lukewarm.
- Combine egg whites and salt in a large glass or
- metal bowl and whip until foamy.
- Add 100g sugar gradually while continuing to
- whip until whites form stiff peaks.
- Stir about 180ml of the meringue into the lukewarm filling then spoon the filling into the baked pastry case.
- Cover the pie with the remaining meringue and bake in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until the meringue is slightly brown.
Cool the pie on a rack for at least 1 hour before cutting.