- 200 g chocolate roughly chopped
- 900 g cream cheese
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 190 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g digestive biscuits
- 150 g unsalted butter melted
- Preheat the oven at 150C.
- Start by preparing the base: Roughly break up the biscuits and place them in a food processor with cocoa powder and process until finely ground.
- Slowly pour melted butter into the processor while motor is still running.
- Place the mixture into a greased and base lined with grease-proof paper 23-cm spring-form cake tin and press the mixture with a tablespoon to flatten compress it.
- Refrigerate while making the topping.
- Place cream cheese, vanilla extract and sugar in a mixer and beat on low speed until you get a very smooth and thick mixture.
- While still mixing, add one egg at a time. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- You can turn up the mixer to a higher speed towards the end to make the mix a little lighter and fluffier. Be careful though not to over-mix or the cheese will split.
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (not allowing the base of the bowl to touch the water) and spoon a little of the cream
- cheese mixture into the melted chocolate.
- Stir to mix then add a little more of the cream cheese mixture
- Eventually, stir all the cream cheese mixture into the chocolate mixture and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture above the cold base.
- Place the tin inside a deep baking tray and fill with water until it reaches 2/3 of the way up to the cake tin.
- Bake for about 40 -50 minutes, while checking regularly after 40 minutes.
- It should be wobbly in the center, so do not overcook.
- Set aside to cool slightly in the tin.
- Cover and refrigerate for an overnight before serving.