Chickpea, Spinach and Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound dry chickpeas rinsed and picked over
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach defrosted
- 2 tsps. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup minced parsley or a mix of parsley and cilantro
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil
- Dukkah optional (can be substituted with a small pinch of cumin)
- Soak beans overnight and boil until tender (reserve 2 cups of the cooking water).
- Puree 1 and 1/2 cups of the tender beans with the 2 cups cooking water, salt, and 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Place the whole chickpeas, pureed beans, lemon juice, tomatoes, spinach, and the chili flakes into a large saucepan, stir and bring to a simmer.
- In a small frying pan, add 2 tbsp of olive oil over high heat.
- Sauté the onion until softened then add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the onion and garlic from the frying pan into the simmering mixture, stir and adjust taste by adding salt and/or lemon juice.
- Add a little more water if needed.
- Ladle the soup into soup bowls, drizzle with remaining olive oil, freshly ground pepper, minced parsley, and a pinch of dukkah.