Buttery Tomato Soup
1 hr 15 mins
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 carrot
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream optional
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Black pepper freshly ground
Preheat oven at 230 C.
- Drain the tomatoes out of the can while reserving the liquid.
Spread the tomatoes on a baking sheet covered with tinfoil.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup of olive oil over tomato chunks.
- Place the backing sheet in the oven and roast for 15 minutes or until edges are well browned and starting to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, dice the celery, the carrot, and the onion.
- In a large saucepan, pour the remaining olive oil and heat on medium-low heat.
- Add the diced celery, carrot, onion, and the garlic and cook for 10 minutes, covered while stirring occasionally until tender.
- Once softened, add the roasted tomatoes, the butter, the reserved tomato juice, bay leaves, and chicken broth.
- Simmer, covered, for about 15-20 minutes.
Add cream and basil once all is soft and well mixed.
- Puree in blender until smooth.
- Ladle in soup bowls.
- Served hot.