Beef and Kashkaval Pide
For the pide
- 250 ml/1 cup milk
- 60 g butter cubed
- 1 1/2 Tbsps. caster sugar
- 7 g sachet dried yeast
- 675 g/4 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
For Beef & kashkaval filling
- 4 Tbsps. olive oil
- 1 kg/2 lb. beef oyster blade or chuck steak cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsps. Turkish pepper paste. Or substitute with tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 1/2 Tbsps. oregano leaves
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes optional
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 300 g/2 cups kashkaval cheese grated. Substitute: cheddar or processed mozzarella.
- For the filling, heat 2 Tbsps. of oil in a large frying pan over a medium–high heat. Cook the beef, stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until browned. Remove the pan from heat and set it aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the remaining 2 Tbsps. of olive oil. Saute the onion for a minute then stir in the garlic, and cook, constantly stirring, until softened.
- Stir in pepper and tomato pastes, paprika, oregano and the chili, and cook, constantly stirring, until fragrant.
- Mix in the cooked beef, chopped tomato and ¼ cup of water. Let it simmer then cook for 50 minutes over a low heat. You will know it’s ready when the meat is tender and the liquid has reduced considerably.
- Season with salt and pepper then transfer to a bowl to cool.
- While the beef is cooking, prepare the pide dough by warming up the milk and butter in a small saucepan until butter is melted and the mixture is warm.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar with ½ cup of blood-temperature water, then mix in the yeast, and set aside for around 8-10 minutes until mixture becomes foamy,
- In a large bowl, mix the milk mixture with the yeast mixture, and tip in the flour with 2 tsps. of salt.
- Form mixture into dough, then turn onto a floured work surface and knead for 6 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. You can skip this by mixing the dough in a stand mixer.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl.
- Brush the top and sides of the dough with oil and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Set the bowl to prove in a warm place for at least an
- hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 200C and lightly grease 2 large oven trays.
- Prepare the egg wash by whisking the egg yolk with 1 ½ Tbsps. of water.
- Knock down pide dough into a lightly floured surface and divide dough into 8 pieces.
- Work on one piece at a time, while covering the other pieces with plastic wrap to prevent developing a crust.
- Roll your piece into an oval shape, approximately 15cm x 25 cm.
- In the center, add ¼ cup of cheese and top with 1/8 of the beef filling. Keep in mind to leave at least a 2.5cm border around the edges.
- Brush the borders with the egg wash, and pull the dough up, folding to partially cover the filling.
- Pleat the edge and press down firmly.
- Brush the dough surface with egg wash then transfer to trays.
- Bake each tray for 8-10
- minutes or until golden.
- Serve immediately, sliced or whole.