European Food Recipes
small avocados, stoned and sliced
handfuls mixed fresh herbs, leaves picked
punnet cress snipped
mixed seeds (pumpkin, sesame, sunflower, and poppy seeds)
blood orange halved
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a griddle pan until it is screaming hot – this will take about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cut the ciabatta in half length-ways, then cut into four equal-sized pieces, about 10–12cm/4–5 inches square.
3. Place the sliced avocado in a bowl and squeeze over some lemon juice to stop it from discoloring.
4. Using a speed peeler or potato peeler, slice the cucumber into long, thin strips on top of the avocado.
5. Add the herbs and cress.
6. Lightly toast the seeds in a dry pan on a medium to low heat, and place to one side to cool.
7. Squeeze a tablespoon of juice out of the blood orange into a bowl, and add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
8. Season it well and give it a mix.
9. Griddle your ciabatta squares in the griddle pan, charring both sides.
10. Once they are nicely toasted, drizzle with a little of the dressing and put to one side.
11. Place a square of ciabatta on each of four plates, then top each with a quarter of the smoked salmon.
12. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the dressing over the salad and very gently mix with your fingertips.
13.If you feel it needs more dressing, add a little extra, but try not to go overboard – you want it to be very light.
14. Top the smoked salmon with the salad.
15. Finish your delicious starter with a sprinkling of toasted seeds, using half a tablespoon per plate, and garnish with a lemon wedge.
First, let me introduce myself. I'm Arwa; a citizen of the world. I like to explore the world, and try different foods from around the globe. Here, I share my passion for food with you, bringing you closer to different cultures an...Read more