Chocolate Mousse Cake
- 500 g dark chocolate
- Melted chocolate to decorate
- Chocolate sorbet to serve
- 2 tbsp. golden syrup
- 1 tbsp. caster sugar
- 1 tbsp. plain flour sifted
- 4 eggs
- 200 g mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbsp. instant coffee
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. pure icing sugar
- Preheat the oven at 220°C.
- Grease and line a 20cm round spring-form cake pan's base with non-stick baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate with the golden syrup and butter in a bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water.
- Set aside to slightly cool.
- Place eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat on high for 10 minutes with an electric hand beater until mixture is very thick and pale.
- Fold in the flour gently then fold in the chocolate mixture until combined.
- Pour into the cake pan and
- bake on the center shelf for about 12 minutes.
- Remove the pan from oven and stick a knife around the edge of the cake.
- Remove collar from the cake pan and transfer the cake to the fridge for 1 hour to cool (this step is so important to set the middle of the cake).
- Meanwhile, make the coffee mascarpone, by dissolving coffee in 1 tbsp of boiling water and set aside to cool.
- Beat together the mascarpone, the coffee and the sugar in a bowl until stiff.
- To make a chocolate leaf for decoration, brush a non-toxic leaf with the melted chocolate and peel the leaf off when cool.
- Slice the cake.
- Serve with a dollop of coffee mascarpone on top of each slice, a chocolate leaf on top and a scoop of sorbet on the side.