Vegan Chocolate Cake
Cuisine : International Food Recipes
Type : Desserts Recipes
Skill Level :
Ingredients (The Cake)
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (+ extra for dusting)
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup caster sugar (160g)
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup canola oil (or other flavorless oil, + extra for greasing)
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
Ingredients (The Chocolate Glaze)
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 2 Tbsp. water
Method (The Cake)
- Pre-heat the oven to 190º C, 375º F.
- Use an 8-inch, springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Lightly brush the sides of the pan and parchment paper with a bit of oil then dust with cocoa powder, making sure to remove the excess cocoa powder.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder with the warm water, making sure to remove and mix all lumps.
- Set aside.
- In a large pan, mix together the remaining dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking soda & salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and slowly add the cocoa-water mixture, oil & vanilla extract while mixing.
- Whisk the batter until smooth.
- Add vinegar & continue whisking.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 30-40 mins or until the skewer comes out clean when inserted.
- Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing the cake from the pan.
- To remove: gently run a knife around the sides of the pan to loosen the sides of the pan.
- Carefully open the cake pan and gently place the cake on the wire rack to cool completely.
Method (The Chocolate Glaze)
- You can either melt the chocolate on a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Allow the melted chocolate to cool slightly before whisking in the water & the sifted icing sugar.
- Once the chocolate glaze takes the desired spreadable consistency, carefully pour it over the center of the cooled cake and use an offset spatula to spread it evenly on the top and sides of the cake.
- Serve with fruit of choice or as is.