Egyptian Meat Okra (Bamya) – Vegetarian/Vegan Option2016-09-21
- Cuisine: Egyptian Food Recipes, Middle Eastern Food Recipes
- Course: Main Course, Vegetarian
- Skill Level: Beginner, Easy
- Add to favorites
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups okra, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 lb stewing beef, cooked (optional)
- 500ml tomato juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
In a medium sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Saute the onion for 1 minute or until soft.
Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
Stir in the okra and mix to combine.
Add the lemon juice and mix well.
Stir in the cooked beef and combine. (skip this for a vegetarian/vegan option).
Stir in the tomato juice, cumin, black pepper, sugar, and tomato paste and mix to combine.
Cover and let it cook for 10 minutes over low heat.
Uncover and simmer for 20 minutes or until okra is completely cooked.
Season with salt to taste and serve with Egyptian white rice and salad.