Chickpea, Spinach and Tomato Soup Recipe
Cuisine : Moroccan Food Recipes
Course : Appetizer
Type : Savory Recipes
Skill Level : Beginner
- 1(28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound dry chickpeas, rinsed and picked over
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 2 tsps. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup minced parsley (or a mix of parsley and cilantro)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil
- Dukkah (optional) (can be substituted with a small pinch of cumin)
Soak beans overnight and boil until tender (reserve 2 cups of the cooking water).
Puree 1 and 1/2 cups of the tender beans with the 2 cups cooking water, salt, and 2 tbsp olive oil.
Place the whole chickpeas, pureed beans, lemon juice, tomatoes, spinach, and the chili flakes into a large saucepan, stir and bring to a simmer.
In a small frying pan, add 2 tbsp of olive oil over high heat.
Sauté the onion until softened then add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds.
Stir in the onion and garlic from the frying pan into the simmering mixture, stir and adjust taste by adding salt and/or lemon juice.
Add a little more water if needed.
Ladle the soup into soup bowls, drizzle with remaining olive oil, freshly ground pepper, minced parsley, and a pinch of dukkah.